Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) histaminase (enzyme that acts as a catalyst in converting histidine to histamine)
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (n) enzyme (any of several complex proteins that are produced by cells and act as catalysts in specific biochemical reactions)
- S: (n) protein (any of a large group of nitrogenous organic compounds that are essential constituents of living cells; consist of polymers of amino acids; essential in the diet of animals for growth and for repair of tissues; can be obtained from meat and eggs and milk and legumes) "a diet high in protein"
- S: (n) catalyst, accelerator ((chemistry) a substance that initiates or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected)
- S: (n) activator ((biology) any agency bringing about activation; a molecule that increases the activity of an enzyme or a protein that increases the production of a gene product in DNA transcription)
- S: (n) substance (the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists) "DNA is the substance of our genes"
- S: (n) matter (that which has mass and occupies space) "physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it"
- S: (n) part, portion, component part, component, constituent (something determined in relation to something that includes it) "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"; "the animal constituent of plankton"