Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) guard (a person who keeps watch over something or someone)
- S: (n) guard (the person who plays that position on a football team) "the left guard was injured on the play"
- S: (n) guard, safety, safety device (a device designed to prevent injury or accidents)
- S: (n) guard (a posture of defence in boxing or fencing) "keep your guard up"
- S: (n) guard (the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team)
- S: (n) guard (a military unit serving to protect some place or person)
- S: (n) precaution, safeguard, guard (a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.) "he put an ice pack on the injury as a precaution"; "an insurance policy is a good safeguard"; "we let our guard down"
- S: (n) guard duty, guard, sentry duty, sentry go (the duty of serving as a sentry) "he was on guard that night"
- S: (n) guard ((American football) a position on the line of scrimmage) "guards must be good blockers"
- S: (n) guard (a position on a basketball team)
- S: (v) guard (to keep watch over) "there would be men guarding the horses"
- S: (v) guard, ward (watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect) "guard my possessions while I'm away"
- S: (v) defend, guard, hold (protect against a challenge or attack) "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
- S: (v) guard (take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence) "guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"; "guard against infection"