Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) function, mathematical function, single-valued function, map, mapping ((mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function))
- S: (n) function, purpose, role, use (what something is used for) "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- S: (n) function, office, part, role (the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group) "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
- S: (n) function (a relation such that one thing is dependent on another) "height is a function of age"; "price is a function of supply and demand"
- S: (n) function (a formal or official social gathering or ceremony) "it was a black-tie function"
- S: (n) affair, occasion, social occasion, function, social function (a vaguely specified social event) "the party was quite an affair"; "an occasion arranged to honor the president"; "a seemingly endless round of social functions"
- S: (n) routine, subroutine, subprogram, procedure, function (a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program)
- S: (v) function, work, operate, go, run (perform as expected when applied) "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
- S: (v) serve, function (serve a purpose, role, or function) "The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well"; "The table functions as a desk"
- S: (v) officiate, function (perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function) "His wife officiated as his private secretary"