Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) snuff out, extinguish (put an end to; kill) "The Nazis snuffed out the life of many Jewish children"
- S: (v) snuff out, blow out, extinguish, quench (put out, as of fires, flames, or lights) "Too big to be extinguished at once, the forest fires at best could be contained"; "quench the flames"; "snuff out the candles"
- S: (v) stub out, crush out, extinguish, press out (extinguish by crushing) "stub out your cigar"
- S: (v) extinguish, eliminate, get rid of, do away with (terminate, end, or take out) "Let's eliminate the course on Akkadian hieroglyphics"; "Socialism extinguished these archaic customs"; "eliminate my debts"
- S: (v) eliminate, annihilate, extinguish, eradicate, wipe out, decimate, carry off (kill in large numbers) "the plague wiped out an entire population"