Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) expect, anticipate (regard something as probable or likely) "The meteorologists are expecting rain for tomorrow"
- S: (v) ask, require, expect (consider obligatory; request and expect) "We require our secretary to be on time"; "Aren't we asking too much of these children?"; "I expect my students to arrive in time for their lessons"
- S: (v) expect, look, await, wait (look forward to the probable occurrence of) "We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
- S: (v) expect (consider reasonable or due) "I'm expecting a full explanation as to why these files were destroyed"
- S: (v) expect (look forward to the birth of a child) "She is expecting in March"
- S: (v) have a bun in the oven, bear, carry, gestate, expect (be pregnant with) "She is bearing his child"; "The are expecting another child in January"; "I am carrying his child"