Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) eat (take in solid food) "She was eating a banana"; "What did you eat for dinner last night?"
- S: (v) eat (eat a meal; take a meal) "We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls"; "I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation"
- S: (v) feed, eat (take in food; used of animals only) "This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat"; "What do whales eat?"
- S: (v) eat, eat on (worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way) "What's eating you?"
- S: (v) consume, eat up, use up, eat, deplete, exhaust, run through, wipe out (use up (resources or materials)) "this car consumes a lot of gas"; "We exhausted our savings"; "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
- S: (v) corrode, eat, rust (cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid) "The acid corroded the metal"; "The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink"