Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) submerge, drown, overwhelm (cover completely or make imperceptible) "I was drowned in work"; "The noise drowned out her speech"
- S: (v) drown (get rid of as if by submerging) "She drowned her trouble in alcohol"
- S: (v) drown (die from being submerged in water, getting water into the lungs, and asphyxiating) "The child drowned in the lake"
- S: (v) drown (kill by submerging in water) "He drowned the kittens"
- S: (v) swim, drown (be covered with or submerged in a liquid) "the meat was swimming in a fatty gravy"
- S: (v) drown (be in danger of dying from submersion in a liquid and asphyxiation) "the divers saved the drowning child"