Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) demand (an urgent or peremptory request) "his demands for attention were unceasing"
- S: (n) demand (the ability and desire to purchase goods and services) "the automobile reduced the demand for buggywhips"; "the demand exceeded the supply"
- S: (n) requirement, demand (required activity) "the requirements of his work affected his health"; "there were many demands on his time"
- S: (n) demand (the act of demanding) "the kidnapper's exorbitant demands for money"
- S: (n) need, demand (a condition requiring relief) "she satisfied his need for affection"; "God has no need of men to accomplish His work"; "there is a demand for jobs"
- S: (v) demand (request urgently and forcefully) "The victim's family is demanding compensation"; "The boss demanded that he be fired immediately"; "She demanded to see the manager"
- S: (v) necessitate, ask, postulate, need, require, take, involve, call for, demand (require as useful, just, or proper) "It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
- S: (v) demand, exact (claim as due or just) "The bank demanded payment of the loan"
- S: (v) demand (lay legal claim to)
- S: (v) demand (summon to court)
- S: (v) demand (ask to be informed of) "I demand an explanation"