Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) delay, hold, time lag, postponement, wait (time during which some action is awaited) "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
- S: (n) delay, holdup (the act of delaying; inactivity resulting in something being put off until a later time)
- S: (v) delay, detain, hold up (cause to be slowed down or delayed) "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"
- S: (v) delay (act later than planned, scheduled, or required) "Don't delay your application to graduate school or else it won't be considered"
- S: (v) stay, detain, delay (stop or halt) "Please stay the bloodshed!"
- S: (v) check, retard, delay (slow the growth or development of) "The brain damage will retard the child's language development"