Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) defend, support, fend for (argue or speak in defense of) "She supported the motion to strike"
- S: (v) defend (be on the defensive; act against an attack)
- S: (v) defend, guard, hold (protect against a challenge or attack) "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
- S: (v) fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend (fight against or resist strongly) "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
- S: (v) champion, defend (protect or fight for as a champion)
- S: (v) defend, represent (be the defense counsel for someone in a trial) "Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
- S: (v) maintain, defend (state or assert) "He maintained his innocence"