Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) bind (something that hinders as if with bonds)
- S: (v) adhere, hold fast, bond, bind, stick, stick to (stick to firmly) "Will this wallpaper adhere to the wall?"
- S: (v) bind, tie, attach, bond (create social or emotional ties) "The grandparents want to bond with the child"
- S: (v) bind (make fast; tie or secure, with or as if with a rope) "The Chinese would bind the feet of their women"
- S: (v) bind, bandage (wrap around with something so as to cover or enclose)
- S: (v) tie down, tie up, bind, truss (secure with or as if with ropes) "tie down the prisoners"; "tie up the old newspapers and bring them to the recycling shed"
- S: (v) oblige, bind, hold, obligate (bind by an obligation; cause to be indebted) "He's held by a contract"; "I'll hold you by your promise"
- S: (v) bind (provide with a binding) "bind the books in leather"
- S: (v) tie, bind (fasten or secure with a rope, string, or cord) "They tied their victim to the chair"
- direct troponym / full troponym
- S: (v) gag, muzzle (tie a gag around someone's mouth in order to silence them) "The burglars gagged the home owner and tied him to a chair"
- S: (v) retie (tie again or anew) "retie the string and make it strong enough now"
- S: (v) tie up, bind off (finish the last row)
- S: (v) loop (fasten or join with a loop) "He looped the watch through his belt"
- S: (v) cord (bind or tie with a cord)
- S: (v) lash together (bind together with a cord or rope) "Lash together these barrels!"
- S: (v) truss (tie the wings and legs of a bird before cooking it)
- S: (v) rope, leash (fasten with a rope) "rope the bag securely"
- S: (v) strap (tie with a strap)
- S: (v) hopple, hobble (strap the foreleg and hind leg together on each side (of a horse) in order to keep the legs on the same side moving in unison) "hobble race horses"
- S: (v) knot (tie or fasten into a knot) "knot the shoelaces"
- S: (v) lash (bind with a rope, chain, or cord) "lash the horse"
- S: (v) band (bind or tie together, as with a band)
- S: (v) lace, lace up (draw through eyes or holes) "lace the shoelaces"
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (v) fasten, fix, secure (cause to be firmly attached) "fasten the lock onto the door"; "she fixed her gaze on the man"
- phrasal verb
- derivationally related form
- sentence frame
- S: (v) bind (form a chemical bond with) "The hydrogen binds the oxygen"
- S: (v) constipate, bind (cause to be constipated) "These foods tend to constipate you"