Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) drag down, bear down, bear down on, press down on, weigh down (exert a force with a heavy weight) "The snow bore down on the roof"
- S: (v) bear down, overbear (contract the abdominal muscles during childbirth to ease delivery)
- S: (v) charge, bear down (to make a rush at or sudden attack upon, as in battle) "he saw Jess charging at him with a pitchfork"
- S: (v) bear down (exert full strength) "The pitcher bore down"
- S: (v) bear down (pay special attention to) "The lectures bore down on the political background"
- S: (v) bear down (exert a force or cause a strain upon) "This tax bears down on the lower middle class"