Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) bear (massive plantigrade carnivorous or omnivorous mammals with long shaggy coats and strong claws)
- S: (n) bear (an investor with a pessimistic market outlook; an investor who expects prices to fall and so sells now in order to buy later at a lower price)
- S: (v) bear (have) "bear a resemblance"; "bear a signature"
- S: (v) give birth, deliver, bear, birth, have (cause to be born) "My wife had twins yesterday!"
- S: (v) digest, endure, stick out, stomach, bear, stand, tolerate, support, brook, abide, suffer, put up (put up with something or somebody unpleasant) "I cannot bear his constant criticism"; "The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"; "he learned to tolerate the heat"; "She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage"
- S: (v) bear (move while holding up or supporting) "Bear gifts"; "bear a heavy load"; "bear news"; "bearing orders"
- S: (v) bear, turn out (bring forth) "The apple tree bore delicious apples this year"; "The unidentified plant bore gorgeous flowers"
- S: (v) bear, take over, accept, assume (take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person) "I'll accept the charges"; "She agreed to bear the responsibility"
- S: (v) hold, bear, carry, contain (contain or hold; have within) "The jar carries wine"; "The canteen holds fresh water"; "This can contains water"
- S: (v) yield, pay, bear (bring in) "interest-bearing accounts"; "How much does this savings certificate pay annually?"
- S: (v) wear, bear (have on one's person) "He wore a red ribbon"; "bear a scar"
- S: (v) behave, acquit, bear, deport, conduct, comport, carry (behave in a certain manner) "She carried herself well"; "he bore himself with dignity"; "They conducted themselves well during these difficult times"
- S: (v) bear, hold (have rightfully; of rights, titles, and offices) "She bears the title of Duchess"; "He held the governorship for almost a decade"
- S: (v) hold, carry, bear (support or hold in a certain manner) "She holds her head high"; "He carried himself upright"
- S: (v) have a bun in the oven, bear, carry, gestate, expect (be pregnant with) "She is bearing his child"; "The are expecting another child in January"; "I am carrying his child"