Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) be (have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun)) "John is rich"; "This is not a good answer"
- S: (v) be (be identical to; be someone or something) "The president of the company is John Smith"; "This is my house"
- S: (v) be (occupy a certain position or area; be somewhere) "Where is my umbrella?"; "The toolshed is in the back"; "What is behind this behavior?"
- S: (v) exist, be (have an existence, be extant) "Is there a God?"
- S: (v) be (happen, occur, take place) "I lost my wallet; this was during the visit to my parents' house"; "There were two hundred people at his funeral"; "There was a lot of noise in the kitchen"
- S: (v) equal, be (be identical or equivalent to) "One dollar equals 1,000 rubles these days!"
- S: (v) constitute, represent, make up, comprise, be (form or compose) "This money is my only income"; "The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance"; "These constitute my entire belonging"; "The children made up the chorus"; "This sum represents my entire income for a year"; "These few men comprise his entire army"
- S: (v) be, follow (work in a specific place, with a specific subject, or in a specific function) "He is a herpetologist"; "She is our resident philosopher"
- S: (v) embody, be, personify (represent, as of a character on stage) "Derek Jacobi was Hamlet"
- S: (v) be (spend or use time) "I may be an hour"
- S: (v) be, live (have life, be alive) "Our great leader is no more"; "My grandfather lived until the end of war"
- S: (v) be (to remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted -- used only in infinitive form) "let her be"
- S: (v) cost, be (be priced at) "These shoes cost $100"