Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (adj) away (not present; having left) "he's away right now"; "you must not allow a stranger into the house when your mother is away"
- S: (adj) away (used of an opponent's ground) "an away game"
- S: (adj) away, outside ((of a baseball pitch) on the far side of home plate from the batter) "the pitch was away (or wide)"; "an outside pitch"
- S: (adv) away, off, forth (from a particular thing or place or position (`forth' is obsolete)) "ran away from the lion"; "wanted to get away from there"; "sent the children away to boarding school"; "the teacher waved the children away from the dead animal"; "went off to school"; "they drove off"; "go forth and preach"
- S: (adv) away, out (from one's possession) "he gave out money to the poor"; "gave away the tickets"
- S: (adv) aside, away (out of the way (especially away from one's thoughts)) "brush the objections aside"; "pushed all doubts away"
- S: (adv) away (out of existence) "the music faded away"; "tried to explain away the affair of the letter"- H.E.Scudder; "idled the hours away"; "her fingernails were worn away"
- S: (adv) off, away (at a distance in space or time) "the boat was 5 miles off (or away)"; "the party is still 2 weeks off (or away)"; "away back in the 18th century"
- S: (adv) away (indicating continuing action; continuously or steadily) "he worked away at the project for more than a year"; "the child kept hammering away as if his life depended on it"
- S: (adv) away (so as to be removed or gotten rid of) "cleared the mess away"; "the rotted wood had to be cut away"
- S: (adv) away (freely or at will) "fire away!"
- S: (adv) away (in or into a proper place (especially for storage or safekeeping)) "put the toys away"; "her jewels are locked away in a safe"; "filed the letter away"
- S: (adv) away, aside (in a different direction) "turn aside"; "turn away one's face"; "glanced away"
- S: (adv) aside, by, away (in reserve; not for immediate use) "started setting aside money to buy a car"; "put something by for her old age"; "has a nest egg tucked away for a rainy day"