Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) attack, onslaught, onset, onrush ((military) an offensive against an enemy (using weapons)) "the attack began at dawn"
- S: (n) attack (an offensive move in a sport or game) "they won the game with a 10-hit attack in the 9th inning"
- S: (n) fire, attack, flak, flack, blast (intense adverse criticism) "Clinton directed his fire at the Republican Party"; "the government has come under attack"; "don't give me any flak"
- S: (n) approach, attack, plan of attack (ideas or actions intended to deal with a problem or situation) "his approach to every problem is to draw up a list of pros and cons"; "an attack on inflation"; "his plan of attack was misguided"
- S: (n) attack, attempt (the act of attacking) "attacks on women increased last year"; "they made an attempt on his life"
- S: (n) attack, tone-beginning (a decisive manner of beginning a musical tone or phrase)
- S: (n) attack (a sudden occurrence of an uncontrollable condition) "an attack of diarrhea"
- S: (n) attack (the onset of a corrosive or destructive process (as by a chemical agent)) "the film was sensitive to attack by acids"; "open to attack by the elements"
- S: (n) attack (strong criticism) "he published an unexpected attack on my work"
- S: (v) attack, assail (launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with) "Hitler attacked Poland on September 1, 1939 and started World War II"; "Serbian forces assailed Bosnian towns all week"
- S: (v) attack, round, assail, lash out, snipe, assault (attack in speech or writing) "The editors of the left-leaning paper attacked the new House Speaker"
- S: (v) attack, aggress (take the initiative and go on the offensive) "The Serbs attacked the village at night"; "The visiting team started to attack"
- S: (v) assail, assault, set on, attack (attack someone physically or emotionally) "The mugger assaulted the woman"; "Nightmares assailed him regularly"
- S: (v) attack (set to work upon; turn one's energies vigorously to a task) "I attacked the problem as soon as I got out of bed"
- S: (v) attack (begin to injure) "The cancer cells are attacking his liver"; "Rust is attacking the metal"