Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ (put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose) "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
- S: (v) apply, hold, go for (be pertinent or relevant or applicable) "The same laws apply to you!"; "This theory holds for all irrational numbers"; "The same rules go for everyone"
- S: (v) apply (ask (for something)) "He applied for a leave of absence"; "She applied for college"; "apply for a job"
- S: (v) put on, apply (apply to a surface) "She applied paint to the back of the house"; "Put on make-up!"
- S: (v) lend oneself, apply (be applicable to; as to an analysis) "This theory lends itself well to our new data"
- S: (v) give, apply (give or convey physically) "She gave him First Aid"; "I gave him a punch in the nose"
- direct troponym / full troponym
- S: (v) tread (apply (the tread) to a tire)
- S: (v) administer (perform (a church sacrament) ritually) "administer the last unction"
- S: (v) insufflate (breathe or blow onto as a ritual or sacramental act, especially so as to symbolize the action of the Holy Spirit)
- verb group
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (v) distribute, administer, mete out, deal, parcel out, lot, dispense, shell out, deal out, dish out, allot, dole out (administer or bestow, as in small portions) "administer critical remarks to everyone present"; "dole out some money"; "shell out pocket money for the children"; "deal a blow to someone"; "the machine dispenses soft drinks"
- sentence frame
- S: (v) practice, apply, use (avail oneself to) "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
- S: (v) enforce, implement, apply (ensure observance of laws and rules) "Apply the rules to everyone"
- S: (v) apply (refer (a word or name) to a person or thing) "He applied this racial slur to me!"
- S: (v) apply (apply oneself to) "Please apply yourself to your homework"