Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) alternate, jump (go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions)
- S: (v) alternate (exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions)
- S: (v) understudy, alternate (be an understudy or alternate for a role)
- S: (v) interchange, tack, switch, alternate, flip, flip-flop (reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action))
- S: (v) alternate, take turns (do something in turns) "We take turns on the night shift"
- S: (adj) alternate (every second one of a series) "the cleaning lady comes on alternate Wednesdays"; "jam every other day"- the White Queen
- S: (adj) alternate, alternative, substitute (serving or used in place of another) "an alternative plan"
- S: (adj) alternate, alternating (occurring by turns; first one and then the other) "alternating feelings of love and hate"
- S: (adj) alternate (of leaves and branches etc; first on one side and then on the other in two ranks along an axis; not paired) "stems with alternate leaves"