Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) active agent, active (chemical agent capable of activity)
- S: (n) active voice, active (the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb) "`The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice"
- S: (n) active (a person who is a participating member of an organization) "the club issues a list of members, both the actives and the retirees"
- S: (adj) active (tending to become more severe or wider in scope) "active tuberculosis"
- S: (adj) active, combat-ready, fighting (engaged in or ready for military or naval operations) "on active duty"; "the platoon is combat-ready"; "review the fighting forces"
- S: (adj) active (disposed to take action or effectuate change) "a director who takes an active interest in corporate operations"; "an active antagonism"; "he was active in drawing attention to their grievances"
- S: (adj) active, participating (taking part in an activity) "an active member of the club"; "he was politically active"; "the participating organizations"
- S: (adj) active (characterized by energetic activity) "an active toddler"; "active as a gazelle"; "an active man is a man of action"
- S: (adj) active (exerting influence or producing a change or effect) "an active ingredient"
- S: (adj) active (full of activity or engaged in continuous activity) "an active seaport"; "an active bond market"; "an active account"
- S: (adj) active, alive (in operation) "keep hope alive"; "the tradition was still alive"; "an active tradition"
- S: (adj) active ((of the sun) characterized by an increased occurrence of sunspots and flares and radio emissions)
- S: (adj) active ((4) )
- S: (adj) active, dynamic ((used of verbs (e.g. `to run') and participial adjectives (e.g. `running' in `running water')) expressing action rather than a state of being)
- S: (adj) active ((of e.g. volcanos) capable of erupting)
- S: (adj) active ((of e.g. volcanos) erupting or liable to erupt) "active volcanos"
- S: (adj) active (engaged in full-time work) "active duty"; "though past retirement age he is still active in his profession"