Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) defense, defence, defensive measure ((military) military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies) "they died in the defense of Stalingrad"; "they were developed for the defense program"
- S: (n) defense, defence (protection from harm) "sanitation is the best defense against disease"
- S: (n) defense, defence, defending team ((sports) the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring) "his teams are always good on defense"
- S: (n) defense, defence, vindication (the justification for some act or belief) "he offered a persuasive defense of the theory"
- S: (n) defense mechanism, defense reaction, defence mechanism, defence reaction, defense, defence ((psychiatry) an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires)
- S: (n) Department of Defense, Defense Department, United States Department of Defense, Defense, DoD (the federal department responsible for safeguarding national security of the United States; created in 1947)
- S: (n) defense, defence, defense team, defense lawyers (the defendant and his legal advisors collectively) "the defense called for a mistrial"
- S: (n) refutation, defense, defence (the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions) "his refutation of the charges was short and persuasive"; "in defense he said the other man started it"
- S: (n) defense, defence, defense force, defence force (an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack) "he joined the defense against invasion"
- S: (n) defensive structure, defense, defence (a structure used to defend against attack) "the artillery battered down the defenses"
- S: (n) defense, defence, denial, demurrer (a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him) "he gave evidence for the defense"
- S: (n) defense, defence (the act of defending someone or something against attack or injury) "a good boxer needs a good defense"; "defense against hurricanes is an urgent problem"