Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) shed, cast, cast off, shake off, throw, throw off, throw away, drop (get rid of) "he shed his image as a pushy boss"; "shed your clothes"
- S: (v) shake, shake off, throw off, escape from (get rid of) "I couldn't shake the car that was following me"
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (v) escape, get away, break loose (run away from confinement) "The convicted murderer escaped from a high security prison"
- S: (v) flee, fly, take flight (run away quickly) "He threw down his gun and fled"
- S: (v) scat, run, scarper, turn tail, lam, run away, hightail it, bunk, head for the hills, take to the woods, escape, fly the coop, break away (flee; take to one's heels; cut and run) "If you see this man, run!"; "The burglars escaped before the police showed up"
- S: (v) leave, go forth, go away (go away from a place) "At what time does your train leave?"; "She didn't leave until midnight"; "The ship leaves at midnight"
- sentence frame