Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) macromolecule, supermolecule (any very large complex molecule; found only in plants and animals)
- direct hyponym / full hyponym
- S: (n) protein (any of a large group of nitrogenous organic compounds that are essential constituents of living cells; consist of polymers of amino acids; essential in the diet of animals for growth and for repair of tissues; can be obtained from meat and eggs and milk and legumes) "a diet high in protein"
- S: (n) carbohydrate, saccharide, sugar (an essential structural component of living cells and source of energy for animals; includes simple sugars with small molecules as well as macromolecular substances; are classified according to the number of monosaccharide groups they contain)
- S: (n) lipid, lipide, lipoid (an oily organic compound insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents; essential structural component of living cells (along with proteins and carbohydrates))
- S: (n) nucleic acid ((biochemistry) any of various macromolecules composed of nucleotide chains that are vital constituents of all living cells)
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (n) molecule ((physics and chemistry) the simplest structural unit of an element or compound)
- S: (n) unit, building block (a single undivided natural thing occurring in the composition of something else) "units of nucleic acids"
- S: (n) thing (a separate and self-contained entity)
- S: (n) physical entity (an entity that has physical existence)
- S: (n) entity (that which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving))
- S: (n) organic compound (any compound of carbon and another element or a radical)
- derivationally related form