Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, contract, reduce (reduce in scope while retaining essential elements) "The manuscript must be shortened"
- S: (v) foreshorten (shorten lines in a drawing so as to create an illusion of depth)
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (v) shorten (make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration) "He shortened his trip due to illness"
- S: (v) reduce, cut down, cut back, trim, trim down, trim back, cut, bring down (cut down on; make a reduction in) "reduce your daily fat intake"; "The employer wants to cut back health benefits"
- S: (v) decrease, lessen, minify (make smaller) "He decreased his staff"
- S: (v) change, alter, modify (cause to change; make different; cause a transformation) "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
- sentence frame