Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (v) defend, support, fend for (argue or speak in defense of) "She supported the motion to strike"
- S: (v) defend (be on the defensive; act against an attack)
- direct troponym / full troponym
- S: (v) bulwark (defend with a bulwark)
- S: (v) protect (shield from danger, injury, destruction, or damage) "Weatherbeater protects your roof from the rain"
- S: (v) ward off (avert, turn away, or repel) "Ward off danger"
- S: (v) check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back (hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of) "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- S: (v) prevent, keep (stop (someone or something) from doing something or being in a certain state) "We must prevent the cancer from spreading"; "His snoring kept me from falling asleep"; "Keep the child from eating the marbles"
- derivationally related form
- sentence frame
- S: (v) defend, guard, hold (protect against a challenge or attack) "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
- S: (v) fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend (fight against or resist strongly) "The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
- S: (v) champion, defend (protect or fight for as a champion)
- S: (v) defend, represent (be the defense counsel for someone in a trial) "Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
- S: (v) maintain, defend (state or assert) "He maintained his innocence"