Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) balk, baulk (the area on a billiard table behind the balkline) "a player with ball in hand must play from the balk"
- S: (n) hindrance, hinderance, deterrent, impediment, balk, baulk, check, handicap (something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress)
- direct hyponym / full hyponym
- S: (n) albatross, millstone ((figurative) something that hinders or handicaps) "she was an albatross around his neck"
- S: (n) bind (something that hinders as if with bonds)
- S: (n) diriment impediment ((canon law) an impediment that invalidates a marriage (such as the existence of a prior marriage))
- S: (n) drag (something that slows or delays progress) "taxation is a drag on the economy"; "too many laws are a drag on the use of new land"
- S: (n) obstacle, obstruction (something immaterial that stands in the way and must be circumvented or surmounted) "lack of imagination is an obstacle to one's advancement"; "the poverty of a district is an obstacle to good education"; "the filibuster was a major obstruction to the success of their plan"
- S: (n) barrier, roadblock (any condition that makes it difficult to make progress or to achieve an objective) "intolerance is a barrier to understanding"
- S: (n) color barrier (the barrier preventing Blacks from participating in various activities with whites)
- S: (n) ideological barrier (a barrier to cooperation or interaction resulting from conflicting ideologies)
- S: (n) iron curtain (an impenetrable barrier to communication or information especially as imposed by rigid censorship and secrecy; used by Winston Churchill in 1946 to describe the demarcation between democratic and communist countries)
- S: (n) bamboo curtain (an ideological barrier around communist China especially in the 1950s and 1960s)
- S: (n) color bar, colour bar, color line, colour line, Jim Crow (barrier preventing blacks from participating in various activities with whites)
- S: (n) language barrier (barrier to communication resulting from speaking different languages)
- S: (n) hang-up, hitch, rub, snag (an unforeseen obstacle)
- S: (n) hurdle (an obstacle that you are expected to overcome) "the last hurdle before graduation"
- S: (n) stymie, stymy (a thwarting and distressing situation)
- S: (n) straitjacket (anything immaterial that severely hinders or confines) "they defected because Russian dance was in a straitjacket"; "the government is operating in an economic straitjacket"
- direct hypernym / inherited hypernym / sister term
- derivationally related form
- S: (n) rafter, balk, baulk (one of several parallel sloping beams that support a roof)
- S: (n) balk (an illegal pitching motion while runners are on base)