Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations
Display options for sense: (gloss) "an example sentence"
- S: (n) apprehension, arrest, catch, collar, pinch, taking into custody (the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal)) "the policeman on the beat got credit for the collar"
- S: (n) arrest, check, halt, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage (the state of inactivity following an interruption) "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
- S: (v) collar, nail, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop (take into custody) "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
- S: (v) check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back (hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of) "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- S: (v) catch, arrest, get (attract and fix) "His look caught her"; "She caught his eye"; "Catch the attention of the waiter"
- S: (v) halt, hold, arrest (cause to stop) "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"